Medu Vada recipe is one of the most sought after thing as it is a South Indian recipe which has gained popularity all over the world. These are made using the urad dal which is ground to a very fine paste and whisked until creamy. Texture is the most important part of this delicacy as it is what makes or breaks the final outcome. Desired texture of a medu vada is super crisp from outside but airy, spongy and fluffy from inside. If made properly, interior of Vada turns out as soft as a cotton ball. A good vada melts in your mouth as soon as you bite into it. It is conventionally serve with ‘sambar’, hot lentil and vegetable stew and ‘coconut chutney’, a dip made up of crushed coconut and chana dal, tempered with curry leaves and mustard seeds.
- Urad dal – (1 cup)
- Curry leaves – (1 teaspoon)
- Ginger – ( 1 teaspoon)
- Green chillies – (1 teaspoon)
- Cumin seeds – (1/2 teaspoon)
- Asafoetida – ( a pinch)
- Salt to taste
- Water as required
- Oil for frying
- Onion – (1/4 cup)/ optional
MEDU VADA RECIPE
- Wash and soak urad dal in 3 cups of water for atleast 4 hours. Strain the extra water after dal is soaked and grind into a fine paste.
- Transfer the ground lentil paste to a big bowl and whisk until it becomes light, airy and almost doubles up in size.
- To check the texture of paste, drop one teaspoon batter in a bowl of water. If it floats on the surface then the batter is ready.
- Now add all the spices and condiments in the batter such as green chillies, curry leaves, cumin seeds, asafoetida, ginger and salt to taste.
- Fold all the ingredients together with a help of a spatula.
- Heat oil in a kadai for deep frying the vadas on high flame.
- Wet your palm with water and place a spoonful of mixture. With the help of your thumb, poke a hole in the centre.
- Add the Vada into the hot oil. Once the vada holds its shape in oil, turn the flame on medium and frying until golden brown.
- Repeat the process to make all the vadas.
- Serve it with sambar and chutney or enjoy it as a snack with evening tea.
- Always whisk the lentil paste in one direction, so that air remains entrained.
- Do not add too much vadas in the oil at the same time as the temperature of the oil might drop which will make vadas turn out oily.
One thought on “MEDU VADA RECIPE | QUICK RECIPES”
[…] is the recipe which I always follow while preparing this delicacy at home. It is a bit time consuming but definitely worth the effort and a lot better than the store […]