Vegetable idli is not only colorful but delicious too. It is an excellent variation to the regular idlis, without much efforts. This recipe calls for limited amount of ingredients and can be made in few minutes.
VEGETABLE IDLI INGREDIENTS
Carrots -1 cup (chopped)
Beans -1 cup (chopped)
Few Coriander leaves
Idli batter – 2 cups
Oil – 2 tsp
Salt as needed
IDLI BATTER RECIPE
- In a large bowl take 2 cup idli rice, 1 cup urad dal, 1 cup poha, thick and ¼ tsp methi. Wash thoroughly.
- Add enough water, and soak it for 4 hours.
- Drain off the water and transfer to the grinder. Add water as required and grind for 30 minutes.
- Batter must be smooth and fluffy. Transfer the batter to a large bowl.
- Cover and allow the batter to ferment for atleast 8 hours.
- Mix it gently. Take the required amount of batter into a small bowl. Rest of the batter may be refrigerated for up to a week.
- Heat oil in a pan, add the chopped vegetables and cook till it becomes soft. You may add any vegetables of your choice.
- Turn off the flame and add coriander leaves.
- Add the salt to idli batter and mix well until combined.
- Grease idli mould with generous amount of oil. Alternatively, muslin cloth can be used on the idli mould to prevent the idlis from sticking.
- Place a teaspoon of vegetables in each mould and pour the idli batter over it.
- Heat water in an idli cooker and place the idli plate once the water is boiling hot. Let it steam for 15 minutes on low flame.
- Serve hot with chutney or sambar. This dish can also be served with ghee and podi masala of your choice.
Leftover vegetable idlis can be tossed in a pan with sauteed onions, tomatoes and few spices for a quick snack.