Daal cheela is one of the most beloved breakfast recipe from the lands of Northern India. It is made with a combination of ground lentils and spices. It is much healthier when compared to other breakfast items such as puri and parathas. Daal cheela is something which is enjoyed by all, from the youngest to oldest member of the family. This recipe is best paired with tamarind and mint sauce. Thin lentil crepes are stuffed with a generous amount of filling made with cottage cheese and green peas which makes it a wholesome dish.
DAAL CHEELA INGREDIENTS
- Chickpea flour/ Besan – (1/2 cup)
- Mung daal – (1/2 cup)
- Water – (2 cups)
- Green chillies – (1 teaspoon)
- Ginger – (1 teaspoon)
- Cottage cheese (sliced – 1/2 cup)
- Coriander leaves – (1 teaspoon)
- Green Peas – (1/2 cup)
- Red chilli powder – (1 teaspoon)
- Turmeric powder – (1/2 teaspoon)
- Salt to taste
- Oil for cooking
DAAL CHEELA RECIPE
- Wash and soak mung daal for atleast 3 hours. After daal is soaked, drain the water and grind it to form a smooth paste. Transfer the ground daal into a big bowl. With the help of a whisk or a big spoon, whisk the daal in one direction until it becomes fluffy and doubles up in size.
- Combine 1/4 cup mung dal paste, 1/4 cup chickpea flour and salt to taste in a bowl and stir in together. Add enough water for a flowing batter consistency.
- Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a pan. Add green chillies, ginger and dry spices.
- Add cottage cheese, green peas and salt to taste. Cover and cook for 5 minutes on a low flame.
- Heat oil on a tawa and add one ladle full of batter at a time. Make sure that while adding the batter the flame is on low but tawa must be hot.
- Cook the cheela until turns golden and crisp while occasionally drizzling some oil.
- Place 2 tablespoons of filling in the centre of the cheela. Fold it in desired shape.
- Serve hot with tamarind and mint chutney.